Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Can one person make a difference?

Becca Thackray was elected Green Party Councillor for Herne Hill Ward in Lambeth (our neighbouring borough) in this year's local elections in May. Here she exclusively tells us more about her work since she was elected.
"As Lambeth's first and only Green Party Councillor my personal profile has risen dramatically in the Borough, because I represent something very different to the other three main political parties.
Raising awareness of the Green Party with a variety of very different groups in Lambeth is important. So I have attended meetings with local business forums, transport and neighbourhood groups and liased with organisations like the Metropolitan Police. As well as this I have been getting involved with a variety of different campaigns to stop cuts in mental health services, adult education and the proposed privatisation of Lambeth's council housing stock.
I have also been tackling other core Green Party issues: this includes joining Lambeth's first Climate Change Scrutiny Committee and lobbying for better recycling facilities in the Borough.
A very important part of my work and one I really enjoy is holding weekly surgeries so that the residents of Herne Hill can meet me and get help and advice. As a Councillor I can sort out things like getting house repairs organised on people's council housing to putting people who are in debt in touch with agencies who can help them.
Its been tremendously exciting and busy and yes one person can make a very big difference indeed."
--------------------------------------------------
Tags ,

No comments:

Standing up for what matters