Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Malcolm Wicks on Robert Mugabe

Today, President of Zimbabwe Robert Mugabe resigned. Here is his letter of resignation.

In early 2003, I arranged to see my then MP, the late Malcolm Wicks - MP for Croydon North. At the time I was stunned to see the UK join the US in invading Iraq. Sitting on a huge majority and as minister, Wicks did what was expected of him and supported the war in Iraq. It incensed me enough to focus my #GE2005 campaign on his unequivocal support of the invasion.

           From left to right: Bernice Golberg, Malcolm Wicks, Tony Blair & me. April 05

In our meeting in his Friday surgery back in 2003, Malcolm Wicks assured me that we would find WMD. He pointed out Saddam Hussain was a tyrant and a dictator and that he had to be removed. I said if that was the UK's policy then why didn't we get rid of all the despots in the world, e.g. Robert Mugabe. Mr Wicks replied, "Things are changing in Zimbabwe, he'll be gone by the end of the year." As it turned out, just like his WMD prediction, Wicks was way off the mark - nearly 15 years off the mark.
--------------------------------------------------
Tags ,

No comments:

Standing up for what matters